Tamales are a traditional Mexican dish that is also prepared for the Christmas eve dinner. In our endeavour to bring you traditional Christmas dinner recipes from all around the world we have for you a traditional Christmas tamales recipe that you can prepare this Christmas. This tamales recipe is simple to follow and full of flavor.
- 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cinnamon powder
- 1 black pepper
- 1 paprika
- Corn husks(soaked)
Preparation of the meat:
- Take a large saucepan and place over medium flame.
- Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes and place in the pan
- Cover the pork cubes with water,
- Add salt, onions, garlic and oregano and boil.
- Place cumin seeds and peppercorn in two separate muslin cloth and place in the pan along with other ingredients.
- Let the meat cook for about two hours.
- Once the pork is done, remove from the flame and allow cooling.
- Drain out the broth into a bowl and keep aside.
- Shred the pork
Preparation of Tamale Dough:
- 4 pound Tamale Corn Flour
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp cayenne powder
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cups corn oil
- 2 quarts pork
- Take a large bowl and add 2 pounds of flour
- Add salt, cayenne, paprika and garlic powder and mix well.
- Add corn oil and mix well
- Add broth and mix well until you have a pasty consistency
Preparing the Tamales
- Place the corn husks on a towel to dry off excess water.
- Place two corn husk in your hand ensuring that the husk overlap
- Spread the Tamales dough over the husk
- Spoon in the shredded meat and spread evenly on the dough
- Roll the Tamale, start from the right side, fold over the center, then fold the left side over the center, fold the top and bottom over the center to make a packet.
- Roll the tamales, do not roll very tight
- Place the prepared tamales into a steamer and steam for 2 hours.