Roast pheasant is another traditional English Christmas main course dish that is prepared in many parts of the United Kingdom and is a favorite traditional Christmas dinner dish. Here we have a traditional whole roast pheasant recipe that is great for holiday dinners like thanksgiving or Christmas. Learn how to make this traditional roast pheasant recipe and serve this delicious crispy and juicy roast pheasant for Christmas dinner.
Ingredients for Christmas Pheasant.
- 4 lb pheasant
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig Celery leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig sage
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 onion roughly sliced
- 1 cup stock
- Start by preheating the oven to 450 Degrees F
- Take a knife and scour the legs and breast of the pheasant.
- Take a large baking pan and grease with a bit of olive oil.
- Place half a sprig of the herbs (thyme, celery, Sage) on the pan.
- Slice the onion and place it on the pan.
- Place the pheasant on the pan and pour stock over it
- Brush with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Take remaining herbs and place inside the pheasant.
- Cut the lemon in quarters and place inside the pheasant.
- Baste the pheasant with the dripping every 30 min.
- Roast the pheasant until it is well done and skin is crisp and brown( approx 2 hrs)
- Once the pheasant is done, remove the herbs and lemon from inside the cavity and drain out any liquid from the cavity into the roasting dish.
Your Christmas roast pheasant is ready to be served. You can carve the pheasant and serve along with an apple sauce or with cranberry sauce. This is a very juicy and crisp roast pheasant recipe and tastes delicious.