Here we have a classic traditional Christmas fruit cake recipe for you. This traditional Christmas fruit cake recipe makes a rich moist fruit cake that is rich in flavor and is right for the Christmas season. You can try this cake with icing or can bake it as a plain fruit cake without any frosting, either ways this cake is delicious and mouth watering. To make this Christmas fruit cake you would need to start preparing at least 60 days in advance, either in October or November in order for the ingredients to marinate well. You can surprise your family by preparing this traditional Christmas fruit cake for them this Christmas.
How to Make a Traditional Christmas Fruit Cake
- 2 (8 ounce) cans candied cherries
- 1 (8 ounce) can candied mixed orange peel
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup dates chopped
- 2 (2.25 ounce) slivered almonds(blanched)
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Take a mixing bowl and add the cherries, orange peel, currants, raisins, almonds and dates
- Add the brandy and let it stand for a couple of hours.
- Take the soaked fruits and nuts and dredge in 1/2 cups of flour.
- Take a 89 inch cake tin and grease well.
- Preheat the oven to 275 F.
- Take a mixing bowl and mix flour, all spice, cloves, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl add the butter and blend until light golden, now add the eggs and sugar and blend well.
- Add the molasses and apple juice into the butter mix, alternating between the molasses and flour and blending them in.
- Now add the fruit min and mix them well.
- Pour the mix into the pregreased cake tin.
- Bake the cake for 3 1/2 hours at 275F.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool.