Bread sauce is a traditional British recipe that is prepared during Christmas, The traditional Christmas bread sauce is served along with roast turkey, chicken or goose. This bread sauce recipe tastes great served hot or cold and goes great with Christmas dinner leftovers. Learn how to make this creamy delicious traditional bread sauce recipe here.
Ingredients for Christmas Bread Sauce
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread
- 2 pints whole milk
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- ¼ tsp ground mace
- 2 tsp salt
- 1oz butter
- 2 tablespoons whole cream
- Using a knife cut out the crust of the bread.
- Cut the bread into small 1 inch chunks
- Take a large saucepan and pour the milk into the pan.
- Add the quartered onions, cloves, bay leaves, mace, salt and peppercorns to the milk.
- Place the pan on a flam and bring to boil.
- Remove the pan from the flame just before the milk boils.
- Cover the pan and let the milk and spices infuse their flavor for a couple of hours.
- Put the pan back on the flame and remove the onions and other spices.
- Add the chunks of bread and cook for 20 min.
- Remove the pan from the flame, it should have a thick consistency.
- Before serving add butter to the sauce.
Serve this creamy bread sauce along with roast turkey, goose or chicken. You can also serve it along with ham. This traditional creamy bread sauce is great for a Christmas dinner.