Lefse is Scandinavian soft bread that is made of potatoes and flour. This is a traditional dish that is prepared during the Christmas season and eaten in most Scandinavian countries. This traditional Christmas lefse recipe is great for a Christmas breakfast and tastes amazing with sugar and butter. Learn how to make this simple traditional Christmas lefse recipe given here and add variety to your Christmas breakfast spread. The lefse dough needs to be made and kept in the refrigerator over night.
Ingredients for Traditional Christmas Lefse
- 4 pounds peeled potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup flour
- Take a large saucepan and put the potatoes in, place over a medium flame until potatoes are well done.
- Take a mixing bowl, add potatoes cream and butter and mash well until you have a smooth mix.
- Place the mashed potatoes in the refrigerator overnight.
- Take the potatoes out of the refrigerator and make roll into four to five equal sticks.
- Cut each stick into 4 equal parts
- Take some flour and roll out each piece.
- Flip the dough over and roll again. Repeat multiple times.
- Place a griddle on a medium flame and place the rolled out lefse on the griddle.
- Cook the lefse on the griddle until golden brown.
You can store the lefse in a airtight plastic container or bag, these light bread are great as a snack or for breakfast and are great for a traditional Christmas meal. You can eat these delicious lefse with butter and sugar .