The Dundee cake is a traditional Scottish Christmas cake that the Scots are proud of. Almost every household in Scotland has a traditional Christmas Dundee cake recipe that is handed over for generations. Here we have a traditional Dundee cake recipe that makes the yummiest Dundee cakes you have eaten. Surprise your family by preparing this traditional fruit cake for Christmas.
How to prepare Dundee Cake
- 300g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g candied orange peel
- 480g currants
- 100g cherries
- 200g black currants
- 100g blanched almonds
- 200g raisins
- 4 eggs
- 200g butter
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 lemon rind ( grated)
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp black treacle
How to prepare a Traditional Christmas Dundee Cake
- Start by pre heating the oven to 300 Degree F
- Prepare a 9” baking pan by greasing and lining with paper.
- In a mixing bowl mix flour, cinnamon, spice mix and salt.
- Mix fruit, cherries, peel almonds and lemon rind.
- In a bowl wisk brandy and eggs until you have a smooth golden mix.
- Whisk the eggs and milk/sherry/brandy together.
- Mix butter, treacle and sugar until u have a smooth mix.
- Add flour and egg mix to the butter and mix well until you have a smooth mix without lumps.
- Pour the cake mix into the pre greased cake pan ensuring to put a double band of brown paper on the outside of the pan making sure that it rises over the top of the pan.
- Sprinkle almonds on the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hrs at 300 degrees F, reduce the heat to 275 degrees f and bake for another 2 hrs.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow complete cooling before you store the cake.
You can substitute brandy for sherry or Scottish whiskey in this recipe