Traditionally the Christmas cake is a baked fruit cake, however we have a great and easy recipe for a boiled Christmas fruit cake that tastes delicious and is soft, moist and tastes great. You can have this boiled Christmas fruit cake with icing or try it without icing, either ways your family would love this great fruit cake for dessert during Christmas dinner. Try out this boiled fruit cake this Christmas and delight your family.
How to prepare boiled Christmas fruit cake
- 2 cups dried mixed fruit chopped
- 1 cup chopped cherries
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 2/3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
- Take a 9 inch cake tin and line it with parchment paper.
- Set your oven to Preheat at 325 F.
- Take a saucepan and mix the chopped dried fruit, orange peel, chopped cherries, walnuts, sugar, butter , milk, spices and baking soda.
- Boil the mix and then simmer for about 5 min.
- Take the pan off the burner and allow cooling.
- Add the flour & eggs and mix well till you have an even consistency.
- Take the greased cake tins and pour out the cake mix into it.
- Wrap brown paper around the outside of the cake tin and place in the oven.
- First bake in the oven for 40 min then reduce the temp to 300 F and bake for 90 min.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow cooling for 5 min.